You’ve said your vows. You’ve survived the wedding planning, the last-minute snafus, and the in-laws. You’re finally tucked away on a secluded island for your honeymoon when something strange begins to happen — your new wedding ring is causing your finger to itch, burn, and turn red. Is this an omen? Should you take this as a sign and order an annulment right away? Don’t panic! The likely cause is a common metal allergy.\n\nMetal Allergy — Contact Dermatitis with Rings\n\nAn allergy to metal isn’t far-fetched. Almost 27% of the population has some type of contact allergy. The most likely cause is an allergy to the nickel in the metal rings, which is used to harden most silver and gold wedding bands. According to the North American Contact Dermatitis group, an allergy to nickel is the most common cause of contact dermatitis.\n\nIf you have a metal allergy, you might experience itching, burning, swelling, blistering, or a red rash when you wear your metal ring. This can happen right away or years after you begin wearing a metal band. The erosion of your ring and the buildup of irritants like sweat underneath your band can aggravate the symptoms over time. Your love may be destiny, but in this case, wearing your original ring is not. \n\nRing Options for Metal Allergies\n\nIf you have a bad case of contact dermatitis, there are a few treatment methods you can try to keep wearing your metal wedding band:\n- Try a short-course treatment with a topical cortisone cream like hydrocortisone to see if your symptoms improve.\n- Regularly apply a thin coat of thin nail polish underneath your wedding ring to decrease your overall contact with the ring and prevent symptoms.\n- Switch to a ring made with materials that are comfortable and don’t cause contact dermatitis symptoms.\nAllergen-Free Silicone Rings\n\nWhen you have a metal allergy or sensitivity, one of the easiest solutions is wearing a hypoallergenic silicone ring. However, beware when shopping for a silicone ring — not all silicone is made the same. Some silicone rings are constructed with other elements that can lead to similar sensitivity issues. That’s why QALO relies on the highest-quality silicone. You can expect a hypoallergenic, comfortable silicone ring that even the most sensitive skin can handle. \n\nThere are other allergen-free options on the market for ring-wearers with metal allergies, including platinum and titanium. So why should you go with silicone? Three reasons:\n- Silicone rings are light and flexible for a perfect fit. They’re also strong enough to endure life’s toughest activities like summiting a peak or working on the factory floor.\n- Silicone rings are designed to break away from your finger in tight spots, so your finger is never injured if your ring is caught on something. QALO’s low price point makes replacing your silicone ring a breeze.\n- We are always designing new silhouettes and adding new color options so you can fully personalize your silicone ring to match your unique sense of style.\nLeave the burning irritation of a metal allergy in the past — showcase your commitment without sacrificing comfort with a QALO silicone ring.