What to Engrave on a Wedding Band – An Inspiration Guide
Wedding rings are items of significance and symbolize your commitment to your spouse. They’re also a way to show off your own personality. Engraving a wedding band is one of the ways you can make your wedding band feel more like a personal token of love than just something you wear on your finger. If you’ve thought about engraving your ring but don’t know where to start, that’s okay! We’ve put together this inspirational guide to, hopefully, inspire you to engrave your wedding band with something special.
The Wedding Ring
For some, the wedding ring is the second ring you’ll wear on your finger. Wedding ring symbolism dates back to early Egyptian times. The rings back then were simple, mainly because Egyptians often lived and worked in harsh conditions. However, as time passed and more and more cultures started to wear wedding rings, they became more and more ornate, as a way to show love between spouses.
In the U.S., it wasn’t until World War II that wearing wedding rings really took off. Many soldiers would wear simple bands while overseas to remind them of their love back home. The tradition stuck around, and now practically every couple wears a ring to signify their marriage! The rings are exchanged during the wedding ceremony to symbolize unity between two people.
Wedding Ring Engraving
Engraving wedding rings isn’t new or even all that modern. In fact, Renaissance England often saw couples exchange what’s known within historical circles as posie rings—rings with short poetic phrases inscribed on them. Sometimes, they were a word or phrase, but others had full phrases. Both the inside and the outside of the band could be engraved, and the beauty and skill it took to do so really showed just how much the spouses cared about one another.
The tradition of engraving bands continues today. Many of our women’s silicone rings come with requests for engraving.
Considerations for Engraving a Wedding Band
There are lots of reasons to engrave a wedding band. Many couples choose to engrave their wedding bands to make them more personal. Others do so because it makes the ring unique in the event it gets lost—it’s easier to identify or find! There are a few considerations you’ll want to make before deciding to engrave your wedding band:
While having a wedding band engraved is definitely personal and unique, it’s also important to point out that engraving is usually an additional cost. We provide free customization of all our customize rings for all our customers, but others do not—especially if you decide to get it engraved after purchasing the ring! Knowing your budget is essential when determining whether or not you engrave your wedding band.
What does your wedding band look like? If your wedding band already has lots of unique features, it might not need engraving. However, if you want to make your ring much more personal, adding the engraving will definitely achieve that!
When do you need your wedding bands? Depending on when your wedding is, adding engraving might push their delivery back a week or two. Unfortunately, if you wait too long to purchase your wedding bands, then engraving might not be an option. You can always come back to it a month or two after your wedding, though! The worst thing would be not having your wedding bands in time for your wedding.
Wedding Band Engraving Ideas
Deciding on what to engrave on your wedding band is tough. There are so many options for you to choose from. Here are some of our favorite ideas:
The date of your wedding is significant. That’s the day you officially become one unit! Engraving your wedding date on your wedding band is personal—and both you and your spouse can have the same engraving on your rings to make them a truly matched pair.
Your Spouse’s Name
Engrave your spouse’s name on your wedding band. They’re the person you’re marrying—so why not have their name on the band? To take it a step further, see if it can be engraved in their handwriting!
A Lyric from Your First Dance
Take a lyric from the first dance song you dance to at your wedding and have it engraved on your wedding bands. You can either both have the same lyric or have the lyric split between the two of you. It’ll make for a puzzle-piece pair of rings! How unique is that? Here are some classics in case you’re drawing a blank:
- Don’t stop believing
- I will always love you
- I would walk 500 miles
- So happy together
A Phrase They Tell You
Is there a phrase they tell you often? “Love you most,” “Always and forever,” etc. are some of the most common phrases we hear said between couples. If there’s a specific phrase they tell you, whether it’s before they leave for work or when they sign off letters, get it engraved on your wedding band! It’s such a sweet and fun way to incorporate their love for you onto your wedding bands. If you like to go the comedic route, here are some of our favorite funny phrases you can have engraved:
- No take backs
- Stuck with me
- Finders keepers
A Line from a Movie or TV Show
If the two of you have a passion for the same movies and TV shows, why not include a line or two from your favorite characters? Here are some of our favorite lines from movies and tv shows:
- “As you wish,” The Princess Bride
- “When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible,” When Harry Met Sally
- “Not even close. Not even a little bit,” 10 Things I Hate About You
- “Most of all, I’m scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I’m with you,” Dirty Dancing
- “You have bewitched me, body and soul,” Pride and Prejudice
- “I love, I love, I love you,” Pride and Prejudice
- “You are my person,” Grey’s Anatomy
- “You want the moon? Just say the word, and I’ll throw a lasso around it and pull it down," It’s A Wonderful Life
- “Caramia,” The Addams Family
Coordinates of Your Wedding
What are the latitude and longitude coordinates of your wedding location? Look them up and then have them inscribed on your wedding bands. It’s something that will only mean anything when you look at it, which makes it an entirely unique aspect of your wedding bands. This is also great for couples who aren’t particularly romantic or mushy concerning their love. They also look great on our silicone rings for men!
Many religious couples have Bible verses they enjoy. Some even have specific verses that exemplify their marriage. Having the Scripture engraved on your wedding ring, or even its location, is perfect for couples dedicated to their faith. It will serve as a constant reminder for them. Here are some famous Bible verses couples typically like to put on their rings:
- 1 Cor. 13:13: “... the greatest of these is love.”
- Song of Sol. 2:16 (also found under Song of Songs): “My lover is mine, and I am his.”
- 1 Cor. 13:1: “Love is patient, love is kind.”
- Matt. 19:6: “... What God has joined together, let no man separate.”
Sometimes, pictures really do speak louder than words. Simple images or icons can typically be engraved onto jewelry, especially with modern technology! Whether it’s paw prints of your dog or a map of your hometown, there are lots of ways you can incorporate images into your wedding band engraving design.
There are lots of romantic phrases and sayings out there you maybe have said before, or which encompass what you’ve been trying to say. Sometimes, even a simple “I love you most” is perfect for engraving on your wedding band! Other top romantic sayings include:
- Eternally Yours
- All my love
- Always and Forever
- Us against the world
- Happily Ever After
- Love you always
- Infinity and Beyond
- I choose you always
- Happily ever after
- To have and to hold
- Forever be my always
There are lots of other ways you can engrave your wedding bands. What’s important is you use something personal and meaningful to you and your spouse. No matter what, you will look down at your ring with love and adoration because it represents your marriage, commitment, and union.
How to Order an Engraved Wedding Band
An engraved wedding band is fairly easy to order. Here are some tips for ordering your engraved wedding band:
- Choose your rings. This is one of the most important parts. You’ll want to have chosen your rings before you decide on your engraving. The width of the bands will determine what you can have engraved on them, so knowing what the rings look like beforehand will ensure you can engrave everything properly.
- Choose your engraving. This is the fun part! Choose what you want to have engraved on your wedding band. You can either keep it a secret from your spouse and surprise them, or you can each choose the engraving for the others’ ring!
- Write it down. Writing down what you want to have engraved will ensure it’s accurate. Have your best man or maid of honor also take a look to ensure you didn’t have any misspellings or it isn’t worded weirdly. If you’re cautious, then have it checked by one or two other people as well.
- Submit your engraving request. Submit your engraving request to your jeweler. This is ideally best done when you purchase your rings because the price and shipping time will be much more accurate. However, if you decide to have them engraved later, you’ll submit to the person you have selected to engrave them. Make sure you include all the details you need—especially if they allow you to make unique choices, such as font or size. Some even require you submit photos of inspiration or your handwriting, so be prepared for that as well!
- Request a mockup before shipping. You should always request the designer send you a mockup before they ship it to you. That way, you can see what it looks like on the metal or silicone. You will feel much better about it, plus it builds excitement for when it arrives in the mail! While the element of surprise isn’t there, it will save you the disappointment of getting the ring and realizing something was done incorrectly.
- Buy a ring box for your wedding band. While your wedding band will come with a box, it’s always a good idea to have another one for you to store your ring in. Some are decorative, and some are great for travel. Either way, you can have it on hand to use in case you lose the one it comes with. Alternatively, you can purchase a ring tray that can hold your rings and other small jewelry.
Do You Need to Engrave Your Wedding Band if Your Partner Does?
No! Your ring is yours. And, while we love how personalized and unique engraved wedding bands are, sometimes the band itself is enough for you. Your ring is yours to wear—and if it looks perfect just the way it is, then that means it is perfect. There’s absolutely no pressure to also have your band engraved.
Besides, you might not want it engraved right now, but there’s always a chance you will want it engraved in the future. If you have children, buy a house, move to a new state … there are lots of upcoming marriage milestones you and your spouse will experience. Each of them can give you inspiration to have your ring engraved.
P Maxwell Photography/Shutterstock.com
Maria Junge Fotografie/Shutterstock.com